Colorado Learner Permit Requirements
The DMV is a division of the Colorado Department of Revenue.
The following are the requirements and guidelines for obtaining a learner’s permits in Colorado.
These requirements are dependent upon the age of applicant.
- 15 - 15 years ½ years of age. Driver Education Permit
- Age 15 ½ - 16 years of age. Driver Awareness Permit
Affidavit of Liability Guardianship (DR2460).
- 30-hour Approved Online Course OR
- 4-hour Awareness class
- 16 to 21 years old Minor Instruction Permit
- 16- 18 Present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)
*The Minor Instruction Permit allows only the signer of the DR2460 and/or the Driver Education Instructor to complete and log the 50 hours required on the drive time log sheet.
- Applies to all permits-
- Alternate Permit Supervising Driver - If the parent does not hold a valid Colorado Driver’s License, they may appoint an supervising driver who is at least 21.
- Hold the permit for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a Driver's License.
- Proper Identification-
- Provide your state or county certified birth certificate or another acceptable form of identification
- Provide your social security card (beginning July 1st, 2015)
- Pass both written and vision screening tests
- Complete an Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship: form DR2460